Monday, 20 June 2016

Ladies Match Report

Cumbernauld Colts 2 Kilmarnock 3 
Scorers - Clare Docherty (2) Sara Paterson 

Kilmarnock travelled to Broadwood stadium hoping to continue their fine run of league form against the team directly above them in the league. Killie started brightly in the game and looked to be in determined mood to come away with three points and got what they thought was the perfect start when they were awarded what looked to be a soft penalty kick for a foul on striker Docherty.

Kirsten Rolph stepping up and her spot kick crashing off the bar and over to safety, a let off for Colts. Killie weren't put off by this and were the team on top for the opening twenty minutes of the half, Docherty almost opened the scoring when she slipped past her marker on the left side and made her way into the box. Her first shot blocked by the keeper but she reacted well and seemed destined to score only to watch her header strike the bar, once again going over for a goal kick. Kilmarnock were frustrated at not taking their chances and even more so when they were hit with a sucker punch. After dominating In the first half they were left to rue missed opportunities when Colts got their first corner of the game and put it to good use. A fine delivery caught the Killie defence out and was powerfully headed home at the back post. Kilmarnock could have allowed this set back to knock them off stride but that wasn't the case. 

They were immediately back on the front foot looking for the equaliser. This was almost delivered from a corner of their own. The ball was only half cleared from a Paterson delivery and it fell to Abby Robinson eighteen yards from goal. She sidestepped two challenges and unleashed a right-footed shot that looked destined to even the score from the moment it left her boot. To the travelling away supports horror this also crashed off the underside of the crossbar and away to safety and left Kilmarnock wondering if this was going to be their day at the half time whistle. 

Seemingly undeterred by their misfortune in the first half Kilmarnock started the brightest in the second half and it took seven minutes for them to be back level. Law picking up the ball and driving towards goal before slipping a pass into the run of Docherty, who coolly slipped the ball past the keeper to level the score. The game now was a far more even one with both sides looking for what they thought would be the winner. 

Colts looked dangerous from set pieces but hadn't created any clear-cut chances to speak of. They did with about twenty-five minutes to go and as clinical as they were in the first half, they also were in the second. A loose ball was picked up in midfield and an excellent first-time pass behind the Kilmarnock back line found its player and was toe-poked into the corner of the net to put the home side 2-1 in the lead. 

Another mountain for the away side to climb but they responded brilliantly. Carol McLuskey almost levelled the game when she found space twenty yards from goal and her right foot shot had the keeper beaten all ends up but agonisingly saw her shot come off the post and the rebound cleared to safety. 

Kilmarnock weren't to be beaten though and it fell to Clare Docherty to score her eleventh goal in four games, and draw the game level, after out-muscling the colts defender and lifting the ball over the keeper 2-2 game on. Both sides pushed for what would most certainly be the winner but it took something extra special to eventually separate the sides. A free kick awarded thirty yards from goal saw Sara Paterson put the ball down and eye up a shot at goal from the centre of the pitch. A wonderfully struck right-footed curling shot swerved round the wall and high into the net to put Kilmarnock ahead with seven minutes to play. 

Colts tried their hard for the equaliser but the Killie defence remained solid and gave nothing away in the final minutes to register their fourth league win in a row and also with that win leapfrog the home side into third place in the league.

No comments:

Post a Comment