Wednesday 28 March 2018

One to Eleven with Steven Cree


Today we are joined by Actor and lifelong Killie fan Steven Cree...

Appearing at half-time recently to do the draw, he had a shot at the crossbar challenge in front of the travelling Hibees in the Chadwick Stand. Steven, wearing brogues, nearly hit Crosshouse Hospital with his attempt! Afterwards, receiving sarcastic jeers from the travelling fans, he gave a warmly applauded two-fingered gesture back. Hilarious.


You may know Steven for his role as Ian Murray in the hit TV series Outlander, filmed in Ayrshire and various other parts of Scotland. He has also had guest roles in popular television programmes such as Shetland, Vera, Misfits and Silent Witness. Steven has featured in many films such as the animated film Brave in 2012 as Young Macintosh (voice over), starring with Billy Connolly, Julie Walters and Robbie Coltrane. In 2014 he played a part in 300 - The Rise Of An Empire and in American dark fantasy film Maleficent alongside superstar Angelina Jolie.


Following on from that sci-fi film 51 Degrees North and last year's hit Churchill, as Group Captain James Stagg. He played his fellow Scotsman and meteorologist that recommended the famous D -Day landings go ahead a day later than scheduled, ultimately saving thousands of lives and contributing heavily to the outcome of the second world war. Steven is starring in a new science fiction film out the 13th April in cinemas called The Titan. He will play Major Timothy Pike. Make sure you keep an eye out for that.

New feature this week is One to Eleven.
This will involve me asking Steven eleven questions about his own experiences as a supporter of Kilmarnock F.C. and his memories from his younger days.

Let’s get started

1) Who introduced you to Kilmarnock FC?
My dad, Gordon Cree.

2) What was your earliest Killie memory or game?
Can’t remember my first game but in the early days I didn’t enjoy it and always wanted to leave at half-time! I have many fond memories of the 2nd Division days when Tommy Burns came to us. I remember an away game, at Stranraer I think, a fight broke out in a pub and my Dad made my brother and I hide under a table. Innocent days...


3) Growing up as a kid who was your favourite Killie player?
That’s a toughie as there are loads but I was always a big fan of Tam Black! Monty is obviously right up there too.

4) Do you have a favourite Killie strip?
I think the Scottish cup winning strip of 1997 with the classic AT Mays sponsor has to be up there for obvious reasons.

5) Favourite away game supporting Killie?
Beating Rangers 2-1 at Ibrox in our first season back in the Premier League was incredible. I remember Bobby Williamson’s face as he tapped in the winner. The scenes of joy were incredible. Seeing us beat Hibs in the last game of the season a few seasons ago to ensure our survival was fairly magnificent too, if only to see Eremenko absolutely run the show. No one could touch him and it felt like as soon as he got a grip of the game, we could never lose. And of course Boydie popped up with the winner!


6) Favourite Killie song?
I’m particularly liking the Jordan Jones song right now being sung to Gold as that is my karaoke song!

7) What do you think of Killie's recent revival under Steve Clarke?
We’ve all run out of superlatives. I remember the excitement when Burns came to Killie. I remember the glory years of Bobby Williamson, European Football etc, Mixu coming and with the aid of Eremenko we played some of the best football in the league, Kenny Shiels obviously delivered one of our greatest wins ever but to my mind, Steve Clarke is the most exciting thing that’s happened to Killie in all of that time. The team has really been on its knees for a few years. Poor results. Poor crowds. A lot of disharmony at the club with Johnson. Continually just avoiding relegation or the play-offs. A succession of fairly uninspiring managers, no disrespect intended. When Steve Clarke was appointed I think we all hoped for better times but no one could have predicted this. Truly unbelievable and who knows what we could achieve next season with a full pre-season under his belt. It’s utterly remarkable and I think it has given the whole town a lift. Let’s just hope the media stop talking rubbish and trying to punt him off to another club.

8) Who is your current favourite player?
Ooft. I don’t think I have a favourite but I’m obviously loving what Mulumbu brings to the club and Boyd is just on an incredible run. O’Donnell is having an amazing season, Jones is a joy to watch and Greg Taylor has stepped up to the plate massively. I love the whole team!


9) Best memory supporting Kilmarnock?
Winning the Scottish Cup final. Though that memory is blurry as I got so drunk that night I climbed on the back of a stationary van at traffic lights then jumped off when it was doing about 30mph. Ended up in hospital needing 17 stitches in my head and a finger that almost required amputation. I still can’t feel it properly to this day. So that was certainly a ‘memorable’ night”

10) Do you still get to follow Killie often?
I come home from London as much as I can and go to the games as often as possible. Currently not as often as I’d like but I try my hardest. I’m suggesting to my wife we move back to Scotland soon!


11) Your favourite ever Killie XI?
Dragoje Lekovic, Tam Black, Ray Montgomerie, Neil Whitworth, Stephen O’Donnell, Youssouf Mulumbu, Tommy Burns, Alexei Eremenko, Ally Mitchell, Jordan Jones, Kris Boyd.


Finally I asked Steven if he would like to add a message for Killie fans young and old.

“I think all I would add really is how great it is being a Killie fan. I think a lot of fans outside of the old firm would agree, it’s brilliant supporting a smaller town team. We expect very little. When we beat Celtic in the final of the League Cup, it’s so unexpected for us that those victories will be with you for a lifetime. I think it must be a bit boring supporting a team like Celtic where you expect to win every match and every domestic competition. Obviously it didn’t used to be quite like that but it has been for some time now. So when we go on a run like we have recently it’s all the sweeter. Killie have a great history & tradition too, it’s a great club to be a part of. And now I’m sure in years to come people will talk of the Stevie Clarke years as one of the great periods in the clubs history. Arguably, it already is.”

Will anyone ever take the Killie Steven?

"Never, We’ll take Aberdeen soon though!"

Not only a talented actor but a diehard Killie fan. Thank you again to Steven for taking part. Hoping for more like these in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment